Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dominican Republic

So I am in the Dominican Rep because of the political coup in Honduras. I love it here and am having an amazing time. But, we hope t go back to Honduras on the 22nd assuming all is safe and everything subsides. They are optimistic but they have no idea what is going to happen.
So for now we are learning spanish and about both the honduran and dominican culture. We go to school for most of the day but it is rather fun as we play games and it is mostly interactive. All the Peac Corps volunteers are great and I have been having a great time with them. We are mostly hippies but everyone is very down to earth. We are all very similar yet extremely different at the same time, so there is a great dynamic. We have been going out to the ¨car wash¨which is a bar next to car wash with really loud music (the first time we went we sat in front of a regulr car wash which was really funny). It is a lot of fun and i have been dancing merengue, bochata, and reggaeton. We also play a lot of hacky sack and frisbee, the two hippiest sports.
My host family is also great!!! There is my host mom, two sisters, a brother, and a grandson in my house, but there are always neighbors popping by for a drink or a conversation. My spanish has been pretty good as i can get around and have conversations with everyone. they say I am a ¨tiguere¨which means i am kinda like a hustler/quick person, which is really funny. We sit on the porch all night talking drinking and playing dominos. Dominos is a great game and i am getting better and better each day. The food is also great, we eat rice beans, plantians, chicken, steak, cassava, etc. and every single juice imagibnable. I also have been walking around meeting neighbors and finding fellow peace corps volunteers in the streets. everything is very relaxed and the people are extremely friendly.
Everything is great here and i am having the time of my life, sorry for the lenght of this and the spelling as i cant type on this computer


these are me opinions and not of the pece corps

2 comments:

  1. you would be a 'tiguere' ... find some 12 year old baseball players and refer them to sammy d and myself, we are looking for clients ... glad to hear you are having such a fantastic time thus far, can't wait for your next post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh, Happy to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete